- Alejandro S. Gillis,Technical writer and editor
What is a yottabyte (YB)?
A yottabyte (YB) is a measure of theoretical storage capacity and data volume ranging from 2 to 80 bytes of performance, or approximately one million trillion megabytes (MB). This measurement is used to indicate the size of the data.
the prefixlay downbased on the Greek letterWhom🇧🇷 In decimal format, a yottabyte is written as 1,208,925,819,614,629,174,706,176.
Currently there is nothing that can be measured on the yottabyte scale.
Based on the book by Paul McFedriesspy word, it would take about 86 trillion years to download a 1-YB file, and the entire contents of the Library of Congress would consume only 10 terabytes (Tuberculosis).
How big is a yottabyte?
A yottabyte is the largest unit allowed by the International System of Units as a standard size (Y)🇧🇷 A yottabyte is roughly 1 trillion bytes, or as an integer 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes. The storage volume corresponds to one quadrillion gigabytes (GB) or one million trillion megabytes. In comparison, the average music file is around 10MB to 30MB.
A yottabyte represents so much data that, according to backup provider Backblaze Inc., one yottabyte of storage adata centerthe size of the states of Delaware and Rhode Island.
Yottabytes frente a Terabytes frente a Petabytes
Although yottabyte storage is not used yet,big dataand the demand for higher capacity units is growing every year.
A byte corresponds to 8 data bits. Increasing in order, other examples of data are as follows:
- 1,024 Bytes = 1 Kilobyte (KB🇧🇷 For reference, 50 KB is roughly the size of a compressed document image.
- 1024 kilobytes (KB) = 1 MB. The size of a high-resolution RAW file from a 24 megapixel camera is around 50 MB.
- 1024MB = 1GB. An average 1080p quality movie can take up 1.5GB to 2GB of storage space.
- 1024 GB = 1 TB, which is about 1613 CDs with 650 MB of data.
- 1024 TB = 1 Petabyte (PB🇧🇷 This corresponds to about 1.5 million data CD-ROMs.
- 1024 PB = um Exabyte (EB🇧🇷 That was about the amount of digital information created on the internet every day in 2012.
- 1.024 EB = um Zettabyte (FOR EXAMPLE), which equates to approximately 30 billion 4K movies.
- 1,024 ZB = 1 YB. According to Backblaze, one yottabyte of storage would require one million data centers.
Manufacturers and professionals use a slightly different conversion method to simplify the numbers. Conversions are made in increments of 1000. For example, 1000 bytes represent 1 KB; 1000 KB equals 1 MB; 1000MB equals 1GB; 1000 EB equals 1 ZB and so on.
Scalable hard drives up to the terabyte level are commonly available in the storage market. In 2015, DataDirect Networks, EMC Corp. (now Dell EMC), Fujitsu and HGST (Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, a Western Digital brand) have released storage devices in the petabyte range from 4.6PB to 50PB.
What's bigger than a yottabyte?
Yotta is the largest prefix recognized by the SI, mainly because a longer prefix is not currently needed. However, there are other unofficial units. For example himBrontobyteis one of the best known.
A brontobyte is approximately 1024 YB.Brontobytederives from the nameBronzesauro, one of the largest dinosaurs. For simplified numbers, a brontobyte is the number one followed by 27 zeros.
Is Yottabyte in use?
Yottabyte storage is not used yet and currently there is nothing large enough to measure it in yottabytes. For example, in his blog post titled "How much data is created each day?". employment agencySeedScientificestimated the amount of global information created in early 2020 at 44 ZB. By 2025, the projected amount of data generated daily worldwide will reach 463 EB.
In 2014, the US intelligence community completed construction of the Utah Data Center, which was said to be designed to process yottabytes of data. However, experts estimate that the capacity of the $1.5 billion data center is between 3 EB and 12 EB. But after 2019IEEE SpectrumArticle "Racing to Yottabyte Data" will reach the world within a decade of Yottabyte Data.
The history and development of bits and bytes
- 1951 the firsttape drivewas created for a commercial computer.
- In 1952, IBM announced its firstMagnetic tapeUnit, the IBM 726. It could store about 1.1 MB on a roll of tape.
- 1963 DECtape is acquired by Digital Equipment Corp. introduced for use in computers. Its 3.75-inch 8-bit tape can be expanded to 12-bit.
- In 1967, IBM began work on the IBM floppy disk drive. In the 1960s IBM also introduced the 8-bit extended binary coded decimal (EBCDIC), leading to the introduction of 8-bit memory sizes.
- In 1978, MCA (now Pioneer) and Philips introduced the LaserDisc.
- In 1980, the first microcomputer hard drive was announced: the 5.25-inch Seagate ST506. I had 5MB of data.
- In 1981, Sony introduced the first 3.5-inch floppy disk drive. It had a formatted capacity of 161.2 KB.
- In 1983, the largest hard drives held about 10MB of data.
- In 1984, Sony and Philips announced read-only memory for CDsCD-ROM🇧🇷 It had 550MB of pre-recorded data. In the same year, Fujio Masuoka, then a Japanese engineer who worked for Toshiba and is now CTO of Unisantis Electronics, developedFlash memory, which can be turned off and still contain data, and can be erased and reprogrammed multiple times.
- In 1994, SanDisk released the CompactFlash memory card, which was widely used in consumer devices.
- In 1999 IBM introduced the Microdrive. At the time, it was the smallest hard drive in the world at 1 inch and offered capacities of 170 MB and 340 MB.
- Em 2000,USB flash drivesthey are presented. These portable storage devices with a capacity of 8 MB were responsible for the disappearance of floppy disks and optical discs.
- In 2007, HGST announced the first 1TB hard drive.
- In 2009, the technical work of theExpress non-volatile memory, which is used today for solid-state storage, main memory, cache memory, and backup storage.
- In 2015, HGST announced the first 10TB hard drive.
- In 2020, the estimated amount of data worldwide was 44 ZB.
- By 2025, the amount of data generated daily is expected to be around 463 EBs.
Learn more about scale-out NAS and how it was developedsupports volumes up to 8 YBData.
This was last updated onSeptember 2021
Continue reading about Yottabyte (YB).
- IBM is expanding its elastic store offering to accelerate artificial intelligence and big data
- Iridia CEO sees the future of data storage written in DNA
- How many bytes for... gives you a true view of the size of the data store
- Is data storage demand or supply driving more storage?
- data migration
- Data migration is the process of transferring data between data storage systems, data formats or computer systems.See full definition
- A petabyte is a measure of storage or data storage capacity equal to 2 to the power of 50 bytes.See full definition
- A zettabyte is a unit of measurement used by technology professionals and the general public to describe one computer or another...See full definition
Dive into storage management and analysis
- Kilo, Mega, Giga, Tera, Peta, Exa, Zetta und all das Von: EdHannan
- zettabytePor: LauraFitzgibbons
- Exabyte (EB)Por: AlexanderGillis
- good, bad, good, bad, good and displayBy: RobertSheldon
How big is a yottabyte? ›
A yottabyte is the largest unit approved as a standard size by the International System of Units (SI). The yottabyte is about 1 septillion bytes -- or, as an integer, 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes. The storage volume is equivalent to a quadrillion gigabytes (GB) or a million trillion megabytes.What is an example of a yottabyte? ›
For example, a 1 TB hard drive offers space for around 200,000 MP3 songs. To store 1 yottabyte of data on hard drives, 100 billion pieces of 10 terabytes each would be required. This corresponds to 1.4 quadrillion CDs.What does yottabyte stand for? ›
The abbreviation for yottabyte is YB in both the metric system (1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes) and the binary system (1,208,925,819,614,629,174,706,176 bytes).How many zeros are in a yottabyte? ›
Yotta- means 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000; a Yottabyte is 1,000 Zettabytes.Is there anything bigger than a yottabyte? ›
But what comes after the yottabyte? Two proposed names for the next levels are hellabyte or brontobyte (1,000 yottabytes).Can you buy a yottabyte? ›
A standard terabyte hard drive costs about $100 today. It would cost $100 trillion to buy a yottabyte of storage.How big is a Yobibyte? ›
As previously mentioned, one yobibyte is equal to 280 1,208,925,819,614,629,174,706,176 bytes, and one yottabyte is equal to 1024 or 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes. A yobibyte is a bit more than 1.21 YB. A yobibyte equals 1,024 ZiB.How big is a hellabyte? ›
A hellabyte (BB) is a unit of measurement for computers of the future. One hellabyte holds 1000 yottabytes (YB) or a octillion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) bytes. 1000 hellabytes make up 1 geopbyte. A hellabyte is so large that it would take about a trillion supercomputers to store this amount of data.What device has a yottabyte? ›
The Watson system had architectural limits which stretched into the thousands of yottabytes. A yottabyte is one billion petabytes, or the equivalent of a data centre the size of one million US city blocks.What is the largest data storage capacity? ›
yottabyte= 1000 zettabyte. So the largest data storage unit is a yottabyte, which is equal to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes.
What is the largest unit of storage? ›
Megabyte (MB) = 1,048,576 bytes = 1,024 Kilobytes. Kilobyte (KB) = 1,024 bytes. Therefore, TB is the largest unit in given memory storage unit.Is there anything bigger than a Brontobyte? ›
There are approximately 1,024 yottabytes in a brontobyte. Approximately 1,024 brontobytes make up a geopbyte.What is a xenobyte? ›
A brand new VST3 Analog Hybrid Synthesizer developed by Sick Noise Instruments! This synthesizer is a hybrid, in that it has an additional sound source, in the form of Xenobyte's sampler. Featuring Oscillators, Filters, 4 effects, over 75+ presets and so much more.Who created yottabyte? ›
Yottabyte was founded in 2010. Its founders include Greg Campbell (Vice President of Technology), Paul E. Hodges III (President and CEO), and Duane Tursi. The Yottabyte concept originated when Campbell and Hodges were sitting in a conference room tossing around ideas.What is hellabyte? ›
Updated: 12/31/2022 by Computer Hope. A Hellabyte is equivalent to 1 x 1027 bytes, or 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes. After an online petition, Google adopted "hella" as a scientific prefix in 2010, and Wolfram Alpha adopted it in 2011. Usage of the term "hellabyte" has accompanied the advent of big data.What is a Domegemegrottebyte? ›
About a sextillion bytes is a Yottabyte. About an octillion bytes is a Xenottabyte. About a nonillion bytes is a Shilentnobyte. About a decillion is a Domegemegrottebyte.What is after zetabyte? ›
Units larger than a terabyte include a petabyte, exabyte, zettabyte, yottabyte and brontobyte.How big is the internet? ›
The Indexed Web contains at least 2.77 billion pages (Thursday, 09 February, 2023). The Dutch Indexed Web contains at least 2279.97 million pages (Thursday, 09 February, 2023).Does a Geobyte exist? ›
These days, we're talking terabytes, petabytes, exabytes and zettabytes. A terabyte is just over 1,000 gigabytes, and is a label most of us are familiar with from our home computers. Scaling up from there, a petabyte is just over 1,000 terabytes.What comes after TB? ›
Therefore, after terabyte comes petabyte. Next is exabyte, then zettabyte and yottabyte. However, binary does not operate on the same scale as SI.
How big is a terabit? ›
A terabit is a measurement for 1 trillion bits or pieces of binary data. It represents a shift from the prefix “giga” or billion with the prefix “tera” or trillion. Terabits are often contrasted with terabytes, which is a term for 1 trillion bytes, each of which is made up of eight individual bits.What is the smallest memory size? ›
A byte is the smallest unit of memory used in today's computing. Bytes consist of eight bits, and a byte is used to encode a single number, letter, or symbol.What is 1024 ZB called? ›
Finally, a yottabyte (YB) is 1,024 ZB. Many hard drive manufacturers use a decimal number system to define amounts of storage space.How many terabytes is in a zetabyte? ›
The number of bytes is equal to 2 to the 70th power, also expressed as 1 sextillion bytes. One zettabyte is approximately equal to 1,000 exabytes or 1 billion terabytes.Is there a petabyte hard drive? ›
A petabyte (1000TB) of online HDD storage can now be served with the latest 16TB enterprise capacity HDDs in a 4U-JBOD with less than 500W power consumption.Is there a petabyte SSD? ›
The South Korean company this week unveiled a new SSD that takes capacity to the extreme with a 128TB SSD to drive petabyte-scale storage. Understandably, the SSD uses quad-level cell (QLC) NAND to achieve this enormous level of storage along with an NVMe PCIe interface.How much data exists in the world? ›
|Characteristic||Data volume in zetabytes|
As a number, a “petabyte” means 1024 terabytes or a million gigabytes, so the average adult human brain has the ability to store the equivalent of 2.5 million gigabytes digital memory.What is the largest iPhone storage? ›
Buy iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB Space Black - Apple.Will we run out of data storage? ›
The only way for us to run out of these storage units is when we don't have the material to build them with which, again, is a possibility, but certainly not for the foreseeable future.
What computer has the most storage ever? ›
- A prototype computer with 160TB of memory has been unveiled by Hewlett Packard Enterprises.
- Designed to work on big data, it could analyse the equivalent of 160 million books at the same time, HPE said.
A compact disc(CD) can hold 650 - 700 MB data. DVD can hold 4.7-8.7 GB data where as Blu ray disc can hold from 25-50 GB Data.Who bought the storage unit with 7.5 million dollars in it? ›
"Storage Wars" star Dan Dotson sold a man a storage unit for $500. The unit contained a safe with more than $7.5 million. After conferring with the original owners of the safe, the man walked away with $1.2 million.What's bigger than a Geopbytes? ›
1 Zettabyte = 1024 Exabytes, 1 Yottabytes = 1024 Zettabytes, 1 Brontobyte = 1024 Yottabytes.How much does zettabyte cost? ›
The ZettaBits service is offered at standard and pro levels. The standard zBoxes feature 30 to 690 GB of local storage and can handle up to 5 simultaneous users, at prices ranging from $49 to $299 per month.What is next to a Brontobyte? ›
After the brontobyte comes "geopbyte" (a thousand brontobytes).What is bigger a Brontobyte or yottabyte? ›
There are approximately 1,024 yottabytes in a brontobyte. Approximately 1,024 brontobytes make up a geopbyte.What is the largest unit of data? ›
yottabyte= 1000 zettabyte. So the largest data storage unit is a yottabyte, which is equal to 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes.What goes after Yottabytes? ›
Ronnabytes and quettabytes introduced to represent what comes after yottabytes. As the amount of data the world produces grows ever larger, new words have been introduced to represent massive numbers.Who has the biggest server in the world? ›
China Telecom Data Center
Occupying 10,763,910 square feet and being located in China, this is the world's largest server room. The DC in Hohhon is recognized to be the greatest facility for datum storage and processing around the world.
What is bigger than Geopbyte? ›
1 Zettabyte = 1024 Exabytes, 1 Yottabytes = 1024 Zettabytes, 1 Brontobyte = 1024 Yottabytes.